CLEANING CANVAS AWNINGS. CANVAS AWNINGS


Cleaning canvas awnings. French door drape.



Cleaning Canvas Awnings





cleaning canvas awnings






    cleaning
  • Make (something or someone) free of dirt, marks, or mess, esp. by washing, wiping, or brushing

  • (clean) free from dirt or impurities; or having clean habits; "children with clean shining faces"; "clean white shirts"; "clean dishes"; "a spotlessly clean house"; "cats are clean animals"

  • Remove the innards of (fish or poultry) prior to cooking

  • the act of making something clean; "he gave his shoes a good cleaning"

  • make clean by removing dirt, filth, or unwanted substances from; "Clean the stove!"; "The dentist cleaned my teeth"





    awnings
  • A sheet of canvas or other material stretched on a frame and used to keep the sun or rain off a storefront, window, doorway, or deck

  • (awning) a canopy made of canvas to shelter people or things from rain or sun

  • (awning) A rooflike cover, usually of canvas, extended over or before any place as a shelter from the sun, rain, or wind; That part of the poop deck which is continued forward beyond the bulkhead of the cabin

  • An awning or overhang is a secondary covering attached to the exterior wall of a building. It is typically composed of canvas woven of acrylic, cotton or polyester yarn, or vinyl laminated to polyester fabric that is stretched tightly over a light structure of aluminium, iron or steel, possibly





    canvas
  • a heavy, closely woven fabric (used for clothing or chairs or sails or tents)

  • an oil painting on canvas fabric

  • canvass: solicit votes from potential voters in an electoral campaign

  • Cover with canvas











9 West 16th Street Building




9 West 16th Street Building





Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States

Summary

The bow-fronted house at No. 9 West 16th Street, constructed c. 1846, serves as a distinctive reminder of the period when this section of Manhattan, near Union Square, was a fashionable neighborhood filled with handsome residences. This brick house with its generous width and elegant curved front is a finely-designed example of the Greek Revival style; the unusual bow front is a feature more commonly found on houses in Boston dating from earlier in the nineteenth century. The eared and battered entrance surround, executed in stone, is a distinguishing architectural feature initially derived from Egyptian sources that was popular in Greek Revival rowhouse designs during the 1840s. This house is one of a group of nine residences (four extant1) constructed under the terms of a restrictive agreement which governed the use and overall design of the buildings to ensure that this block of West 16th Street would develop as a fine residential street. Daring the late-nineteenth century and early-twentieth century the area changed from purely residential to one of mixed commercial and residential use. This house has maintained its residential character and simple elegance, and recalls the earliest period of development in this neighborhood west of Union Square.

Development of the Union Square Neighborhood

The block of West 16th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues lay within the original boundaries of a farm belonging to Simon Congo, a free black man in seventeenth-century New York. This property was later incorporated into the holdings of the esteemed landowner Henry Brevoort of the Bowery, a New York civic leader. The northernmost tract of the Brevoort farm was sold to Thomas and Samuel Burling in 1799, and in 1825 John Cowman purchased the section of land now roughly bounded by Fifth and Sixth Avenues and West 16th and 17th Streets. The land remained rural into the 1830s, despite the fact that Fifth and Sixth Avenues were opened to traffic in this area a decade earlier.

The development of this and the surrounding blocks was tied to New York's inexorable march northward. The fact that this area became a prime residential neighborhood was due to its proximity to Union Square. Union Place (as Union Square was originally known) located just over one block to the east, appears on the New York City Commissioners Map of 1807-11, which formalized the street grid of Manhattan above Houston Street. It was formed by the unplanned convergence or "union" of the Bowery Road (Fourth Avenue), and Bloomingdale Road (Broadway), and initially extended from 10th to 17th Streets, on land owned by the Manhattan Bank. In 1815, however, the state legislature reduced the size of Union Place by marking the cross-town artery of 14th Street as its southern boundary. The site was at times used as a potters' field, and as late as 1833 was covered with crude shanties. Laid out by attorney and landowner Samuel B. Ruggles, the new Union Place became an integral part of the city plan in the early 1830s to improve vehicular traffic patterns while providing the amenities of a formal park within the expanding city. After the square was cleared, graded, and paved it was formally opened to the public on July 19, 1839, and sometime thereafter became known as Union Square. The perimeter of the square was soon lined with fine residential buildings, a development pattern which gradually spread to the surrounding blocks as well.

The Residential Development of West 16th Street

As older residential districts further downtown declined or were displaced by mercantile development, the Union Square area, then bordering on the city's northernmost urban limits, acted as a magnet for new residential development in the 1840s, and soon became a prosperous neighborhood of mansions and Greek Revival rowhouses.

John Cowman, who owned extensive real estate throughout this area, died in 1832. His will provided that, after a ten year period, his property was to be divided equally among his three children, but only his son Augustus T. Cowman and his son-in-law Edward S. Mesier (widower of John Cowman's daughter Susan) were still living when the terms of the will were carried out in 1842.3 Augustus T. Cowman (18147-1854) owned a contracting firm in Manhattan and lived in Hyde Park, while Mesier (1803-1854) was a partner in the firm of Mesier & Rich, book publishers and stationery merchants. In 1842, Cowman and Mesier divided the estate of John Cowman, a portion of which extended as far as Union Square. On the north side of West 16th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues, Augustus Cowman received the lots from No. 23 to the west and Mesier acquired the property to the east. Mesier proceeded to reorganize eleven of the twenty-five foot wide lots into nine lots, each thirty-three feet, four inches wide (lots 25, 27, 29, 31, 33, 35, 37, 39, 41). He kept the other two twenty-five foot wide lots (lots











Isabella Capri




Isabella Capri





Perfect for everyday caravanning

The new Capri model is the perfect full awning for touring. The coated polyester material is easy to clean, and lightweight for easy handling. The new printed roof material is fresh, washable and easy to live with. With the panels zipped in the tinted window foil reduces the bright sun rays, and makes the awning a pleasant place to be. The mosquito net window with outside foil cover gives good ventilation.

Capri Lux is a natural choice – it’s especially suitable for touring, and built to withstand the wet conditions often experienced in spring and autumn.

The canvas is a fibre-dyed acrylic that is strong, breathable and colour fast.









cleaning canvas awnings







Similar posts:

used tanning canopy

large drapery grommets

coleman bag awning

canopy tanning beds

zebra print lamp shade

large drum shade chandelier

thermal backed drapery

one way view custom roller shade



tag : cleaning canvas awnings difference between curtains and drapes balloon shade

Secre

Profile

bar canopies

Author:bar canopies
Welcome to FC2!

Latest journals
Latest comments
Latest trackbacks
Monthly archive
Category
Search form
Display RSS link.
Link
Friend request form

Want to be friends with this user.